After the ex-girlfriend of Kim Hyun Joong dropped her assault charges against him last week, the question still remains as to whether or not the singer will be prosecuted for his criminal actions.
Seoul’s justice department now has to decide on the 28-year-old idol star’s destiny as he has already confessed to one of the charges.
Chiefs at the Seoul Songpa Police crime department are now preparing to hand over the case to the prosecutor’s office for review.
Says a spokesperson, “The prosecutors will investigate the assault charge that Kim Hyun Joong confessed to out of the four charges pressed against him.
“It will take around two weeks to finalize the police department’s position on the case.”
The singer’s ex – who can’t be named for legal reasons – first pressed charges against the former SS501 leader last month for repeated physical assaults and claimed to have sustained injuries that took two weeks to heal.
While the young woman withdrew her charges after a sincere apology from Kim, the police now have a validated medical diagnosis of the injuries and there are certain abuse crimes in Korean law that a perpetrator cannot be automatically acquitted even if negotiations are settled out of court once the perpetrator has confessed to the crime.
Stay in the know about Kim Hyun Joong by following IdolWow! on Twitter
Update (September 24): A spokesman for Songpa Police says via statement, “We intend to send comments for indictment to the prosecutors’ office for the charge of grievous bodily harm to which Kim Hyun Joong admitted to. We are also considering acquittal or feedback for the three other assault charges which includes regular assault.”