Scroll down for video
After much anticipation, hot new KBS drama Heirs premieres today. The series follows the love lives and friendships of glamorous young heirs, heiresses and Cinderella-like (read: poor) Cha Eun Sang — played by Park Shin Hye — who steals the hearts of two of the most eligible bachelors.
“This is going to be one of the biggest shows [on TV],” Lee Min Ho — who plays charming Jeguk Group heir Kim Tan –says of the series: “It has everything that you would want in a drama. This is going to be a great show.”
Do we have a new Boys Over Flowers on our hands? IdolWow! have put together a list of things you need to know about the show ahead of its first episode.
1. Park and Lee are best friends! Yes, the pair have been friends for five years after meeting on a shoot. “I first met [him] in 2009 when we were modeling for a makeup brand,” says the 23-year-old actress. “. His personality is so great that I even tease him by calling him a school kid. We play around a lot so we feel totally at ease when we’re filming as well.”
2. Heirs has a second motherland. The show — which was part filmed in Seoul, part in Los Angeles — is the first Korean drama to be co-produced by a US company. Online television distributor DramaFever joined forces with South Korea’s Hwa & Dam Pictures, which means episodes are simulcast (with subs) on networks around the world!
3. Park’s former You’re Beautiful bandmate and FT Island singer Lee Hong Ki will sing one of the show’s big soundtrack anthems. “I’m Saying” will be used in multiple episodes of the show, so it’s sure to become a hit.
4. CNBlue’s Jung Yong Hwa dropped out of the show before it started filming in April. A KBS rep says that the 23-year-old clashed with producers over the direction of his character. “Failing to reach an agreement regarding differences on the character with the producers, both parties have mutually decided on withdrawal,” a spokesman said at the time. Still, fans of the group can still get their fix by watching bandmate Kang Min Hyuk as character Yoon Chan Young.
Stay in the know about Heirs by following IdolWow! on Twitter
5. Not all of the show will be subbed. Lee Min Ho swotted up on English language before filming the series so he could speak like a local in the LA-based scenes. “He studied night and day,” says a source of his perfect pronunciation.